Sunday, May 2, 2010

Aloha! It's Show and Tell Day!

Today I'm showing off some of the pics from my recent trip to Oahu, Hawaii! I tagged along with my hubby on his five day, four night business trip and loved every minute of it.

One of the quirkier parts of the expedition was WHO I saw next to on the plane the over. Unfortunately for me, I had never seen the show Project Runway, but at least I knew of its existence. LOL Fashion isn't a really big topic of conversation in my little countrified locale. So, when I plunked my booty down in the seat and took a gander at the gent who was sweetly holding my seat belt up for me, I knew he was someone, but I just didn't know who! I mean, the way he was dressed was a big tip off. Beautifully cut and of the nicest material, his shirt and pants were top of line. HA! I may not be up-to-date on fashion, but I know good taste when I see it!
MUCH later and after an airline attendant recognized him, I garnered enough brass to ask his name. JAY NICOLAS SARIO! Despite the drama surrounding the show, I found him to be witty, funny, and 100% charming! He even gave me tips on places to see while visiting Oahu. What's more, he showed me pics of his collection on his phone. Too cool! My first celeb experience and it was a blast. LOL Too bad I was too star-struck to ask for a pic! Rats!

As for the rest of my trip, Lady Luck shown down upon me again. My peep, Diana Cosby, hooked me up with one her friends who happened to live in Oahu. Kim Lowe was super cool and graciously played tour-guide for my hubby and I. She took us all around Hickman Air Force Base and showed us the sights. I will have those pics on Wednesday. Sheesh! I have 654 pics of the trip!!

So, without further ado, here is the first installment-- just the highlights, mind you. LOL According to my hubs I took a picture of every plant and flower known to the island. All I can say is: How could I not?!


Here is where we stayed: The Marriot, Waikiki. Believe me, it was a gorgeous and very courteous hotel. I would stay there again at the drop of the hat. Especially for the breakfast buffet and its endless supply of coconut syrup! Yum!

Pics of the open-air lobby:



The view from our room on the 14th floor!

The water is so clear and warm. A definite contrast to the California's cold H2O. See how pasty-colored I was! I now have a little color. Yay!

This is Diamond Head.

Snapshots of The Blow Hole and surrounding reefs.


I ate here and enjoyed glimpses of the beach while I read some of my current Sookie Stackhouse book. The funny part about this awesome burger joint was the fact it was open-air and a 24 Hr Fitness Gym looked down at it. LOL Yep, I was noshing on an Island Burger (a cheeseburger with a slice of pineapple and a smothering of teryaki sauce! Yumx10!) and sucking down a Diet Coke while a cute little gym rat worked a treadmill. I think that was probably the best tasting burger ever!;)

Photo from the Pearl Harbor Memorial
From the sights of the above gun. Let me tell you taking this pic required talent. Those soldiers had to be very bendy to climb up into that seat! I had a heckofva time! Ha! Too many cheeseburgers I guess!!
At the USS Arizona Memorial. These are the names of all the soldiers lost that day. Very humbling to read.
Standing in the middle of the Memorial, which looks down on the mid-section of the ship. You can see oil floating on the surface. Two gallons leak out every day from the remaining thousands of gallons still in the ship's tanks. The Navy will deposit the urns of the surviving ship's soldiers upon their deaths if requested.
From this direction, you face the back end of the ship. Looking down at the watery tomb of some of America's finest really pulls at you. It was breath-taking and definitely choked me up.
The USS Arizona Memorial from a distance. A truly beautiful sight to behold.

I'm going to post some more pics from my tour with Kim of Hickman AFB and the original buildings which still sport bullet holes. If you'd like to learn a little more about my new friend Kim Lowe and her good works, here is the link to her blog, SOS America. And to fall in love with a Diana Cosby Zebra Historical Highlander Romances, check out Diana's website: http://www.dianacosby.com/Here's hoping your Moanday is sweet like a pineapple and just as tasty!! Mahalo!

9 comments:

Rebecca J Vickery said...

Hi Sarah,
I am so envious and thrilled that you had such a great time. I can't wait to see your other pics.
Sounds like the flight over was a blast too, you lucky girl!
But I bet you grabbed up those young'uns for a huge hug as soon as possible, too. LOL

Debra Kayn said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time. I'm so happy for you. Beautiful pictures. I've never been there, so very interested in seeing it through your eyes. :-) Welcome home!

Paige Ryter said...

That's such a cool trip!!! I'd have been walking around with my mouth on the ground, in awe of everything you saw--including the celeb! But welcome back!!! I bet you're planning your next vacation there again! HA!

Martha Eskuchen said...

I am so glad you had a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing your pics! Reminded me of my visit in 1972 - when I was oh so young! LOL
Cool about your celeb experience! :)
Did you get to go to any of the other Islands? I loved the rain forest and volcano!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kaye Manro said...

What fantastic photos, Sarah! It sounds like such a wonderful trip. So glad you got to go and had such a great time.

Sarah Simas said...

Thanks for stopping by Rebecca, Debra, Paige, Martha, and Kaye! It was a wonderful trip and I can't wait to go back one day. I miss my daily swims in the ocean.

RJV, You bet I missed my kiddos. I'd hear a fussy kid and start looking for mine. LOL

Debra and Paige, I borrowed my mom's little SONY Cyber-Shot camera and loved the pics it took. Plus, it was so compact I could carry it anywhere. :)

We stuck to Oahu, Martha. His client is based in Honolulu. lol BUT he has another client on Maui, so maybe one day. *wink wink*

Yep, Kaye, I was thrilled I got to go, too. Usually I don't get to go on his business trips. It was nice to have a little time to myself while he worked!

Micole Black said...

Beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a wonderful time!!! I am so jealous!!!!

Hugs

Micole

DanielleThorne said...

Wow. Amazing pics. I'm drooling for a burger now. Thanks for sharing this trip. Hawaii is on my bucket list and you've got me all excited now!