Friday, June 22, 2012

RWA 2012 Prep: It's Almost Here!!

Well, this isn't the RWA 2012 Anaheim Marriot, it's the Marriot I stayed at in O'ahu. I wish I was back there--right now.
Heya Writerly Peeps!!

Is anyone else excited about RWA 2012?!! Good gracious! I can barely contain myself!

This will be my first time attending. YAY! For so long, I've been Cinderella--always viewing the fun via FB and Twitter. After years of being pea green, I finally get to go! *Can I get an Amen?!*

I've gotten tons of fabulous tips on packing. (I'm horrible at it! I always over pack.) Should you fall in the same category of packing-challenged, here is the link to debut author Erin Knightley's website. She has a fabulous video on packing for conferences on her "Extras" page. Love it! Her site is gorgeous and full of fun stuff.

I don't know how she managed all those outfit parings. Sheesh! As of right now, my suitcase would have yoga pants as the staple clothing item. *no fashion sense. zero. zip. zilch!* Heels? Only if I can find a stylish helmet . . . 

Got a room-mate, am hitching a ride, my fashionista sis-n-law is taking me clothes shopping, and I sweetly asked both moms to watch the gremlins during the day until Hero-Hubby gets home . . . and now, all I have to do is WAIT!! Sheesh. It really is the hardest part!

I've got my agent/editor appointments set up. I'm refusing to acknowledge the gut-clenching anxiety I'm experiencing over pitching for the first time. Ha! Little do my family and friends know, but they will be my victims for 'pitch practice! *insert evil laugh*

In the meantime, I've been typing away like crazy! We're talking up with the chickens and hanging out with the owls. All I can say is: thank goodness for expresso. *and cat naps!* I'm a little less zombie-ish after a few sips.

So, what's YOUR conference prep-routine? Any tips for this newbie?

4 comments:

Julianna Scott said...

Make sure you have lots of extra packing room on the way back for all the free books(all the books at signings are free--you could leave with over 500 if you had a mind to), and (you may already know this) bring business cards, not your actual work. If an agent or editor is interested in you they will want only your info, and then contact you, or have you contact them from there.

Have fun and good luck!

Kaily Hart said...

Amen! You're going to have the BEST time. I'm bummed I don't get to go this year and meet you in person. Remember, this is YOUR time so don't forget to...ENJOY and have some fun :).

Sarah Simas said...

HI Marian!

Thank you for stopping by. :) I'm ordering new cards today. My to-do list is getting shorter which means the big day is near! Thanks for sharing some fabulous tips!

Sarah Simas said...

Kaily, Kaily, KAILY!!

I'm so bummed I won't be seeing you! Thank you for all your help. You sure know how to bring it! ((hugs!))